|What is a 21st Century Community Learning Center?
- Federal Grant Program
- Administered by ND Department of Public Instruction through South East Education Cooperative (SEEC).
- Provides low OR no cost afterschool and summer learning programs for high-needs schools
- SEEC is the fiscal gent for 21CCLC grant in southeastern ND including 10 districts and 22 school buildings
- Some programs are operated by SEEC while others are sub-grantee, community-based organizations (YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, CHARISM, Wahpeton Youth Club)
FOCUS: 21CCLC programs focus on 21st Century skills including social emotional learning goals like self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, responsible decision-making, and relationship skills.
FORMAT: all SEEC 21CCLC programs implement the Afterschool 7, a framework of essential components proven by research to best meet the physical, social, emotional, and academic needs of students in a larger group setting.Afterschool 7 is an afterschool framework designed to create a community of 21st Century learners. This program supports the creation of community learning centers that provide academic enrichment opportunities during out-of-school time for children, particularly students who attend high-poverty and/or low-performing schools. The program helps students meet state and local education standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and math; offers students a broad array of enrichment activities that can complement their regular academic programs; and offers other educational services to the families of participating children.
- 7 components (Welcome, Outside, Snack, Huddle Time, Genius Hour, Discovery Time, Physical Activity)
- Fidelity checklists
- 21st Century Skills
- STREAM (science, technology, reading, engineering, art, math)
- SEL (social emotional learning)
- Monthly visits with program coaches